A cooling tower is a device that reduces unnecessary heat from the atmosphere. Cooling of the water stream is used to lower down the temperature. It can be either used as the evaporation of water to eliminate process heat and reduce the temperature of working fluid as close as wet-bulb temperature. When it comes to dry circuit cooling towers, only the air is used for lowering the temperature of working fluid and keeping the temperature close to the dry-bulb air temperature.
What types of cooling towers are more popular?
It has taken years to develop the efficient technology of cooling towers. Just like the sizes, the cooling towers come in different varieties. Each type of cooling tower is applicable in a specific load configuration. There are various options available. However, even these cooling towers are designed; differently, their primary function is the same, which is to reduce the heat from a process to the air through evaporation or from the building system. We have categorized the cooling towers.
- Atmospheric cooling tower
- Hybrid draft cooling tower
- Mechanical draft cooling tower
- Cooling towers that are by shapes
- Air flow-characterized cooling tower
- Cooling tower based on the method of heat transfer
- Cooling tower characterized by its construction
Each of these categories can carry a number of cooling towers. For example, if we categorized cooling towers by its heat transfer method, then there are three options, open circuit cooling towers, dry cooling towers, and closed circuit cooling towers, that are also known as fluid cooling towers.
Various Applications of a Cooling Tower:
The primary use of cooling tower is to prevent absorbed heat from moving to the cooling water system. There are various applications of the cooling tower, and some of them are mentioned below:
- Power plants
- Food processing plants
- Natural gas processing plants
- Semiconductor plants
- Petrochemical plants
- Oil refineries
- Chemical plants
- Thermal power stations
- HVAC systems for cooling buildings, and more.
There are both small and large cooling towers available. You should go for the one that suits your requirement most. The minimization of absorbed heat in water is possible with a cooling tower. It enables you to use the same water over and over again and reuce its wastage. One of the main benefits is that it helps you to save the water, which is very important in today’s time.
When it comes to residential projects, small cooling towers are perfect. They can handle a few liters of water and also consume less energy. When it comes to industrial applications, large cooling towers are ideal for treating more liters of water. These cooling towers are designed with the heat exchange system. The heat exchange system reduces unnecessary heat from the process system fluid. Large cooling towers are famous in industrial application, but they are also ideal for commercial applications.
How does cooling tower can make the operation more efficient?
Cooling towers have proved cost effective when it comes to industrial cooling over other available options. However, it is vital to maintaining the efficiency of the cooling tower. If the efficiency of cooling towers is adequately maintained, then it has some excellent benefits which include:
- Reduced water consumption
- Reduced energy consumption
- Extended equipment service life
- Low operating cost
There are three factors one needs to consider to ensure that cooling towers remain efficient. The first is the proper understanding of the type of cooling tower is installed, use careful use of chemicals, and tracking down water loss in the system.
Different types of airflow generation methods in cooling towers:
Natural draft cooling tower:
Natural draft cooling tower involves using buoyancy with a tall chimney. Warm and moist air naturally rises compared to the dry cooler air outside, due to the difference in density. The density of warm moist air has less density than dry air when the pressure is the same. The moist air buoyancy provides an upward current of air through the tower.
Induced draft cooling tower:
It is a mechanical draft tower which as a fan at the top. This fan pulls air up within the tower. This fan takes away the warm moist air and discharges it outside. The induced draft cooling tower offers air velocities that are high exiting and low entering, which cuts down the possibility of circulation of air over and over again. The arrangement of fan or fin is also known as draw-through.
The importance of parts in maintaining the efficiency of cooling towers:
The parts of cooling tower play a vital role in maintaining its efficiency and keep the life of the installed cooling tower. When it comes to replacing or purchasing new parts for the cooling towers following points should be considered.
- One should never compromise with the quality of the parts. Such high quality parts might prove costlier than cheap quality parts, but they help in improving the overall functionality.
- Go for the parts that can be used with all the models. Such adaptable parts are easily available and can also be stored to cater to future emergencies.
- When it comes to cooling tower accessories, it is crucial that you opt for original equipment. They are not difficult to find and also available at a reasonable price.
- Look for a manufacturer that offers carefully designed parts that work efficiently in the cooling tower ambiance.
- The parts you look forward to buying, has to be designed using excellent materials and products.
- You need to ensure that the parts are corrosion resistant and can also provide durability against the exhaustion.
- You should check the durability of the parts as they offer excellent working effectiveness.
- The parts should be easy to assemble with the type of cooling tower you have installed.
When it comes to buying cooling tower parts, you should look for a company that provides a solution by taking the points mentioned above into account. The parts have to be made using advanced methods, high quality materials, and precision which make parts ideal for any make and model of the cooling tower. You can find a reliable manufacturer who can cater to such requirement in the best possible way.
The parts you buy has to have up to the mark functionality and durability, and it is also important to get delivery of them on time. Not all the company owns such an excellent network to make delivery on time. And when you need parts on an urgent basis, you cannot count on them. So find a company that can deliver the parts on time.
Now you know what a cooling tower, their applications, their types, their benefits, different types of airflow generation methods of cooling towers, what you should look for when it comes to buying cooling tower parts, and how to purchase it. We have covered everything that gives you complete insight into the cooling towers. If you are looking for installation of a cooling tower, whether it is an industrial project or commercial project, you should look for an experienced company that offers end to end deal. There is no need to compromise in the quality of installation and also with the parts you buy.