Cooling towers are large heat exchangers used by power generation plants and manufacturing factories to cool water which helps in cooling water for day-to-day operations. Nowadays, in many industries, there is a cooling fiber used that is made up of FRP material. FRP is known as a reinforced polymer which is a blended material that is utilized to make the FRP cooling tower used in industries today.
They are designed in such a way that they can resist any weather situation and withstand corrosion, waterborne bacteria, and organisms. The pultruded FRP cooling tower is lightweight and has high mechanical strength. It is long and is the best substitute material for replacing the wooden structure cooling tower which has been a major installation in most industries for the past few decades.
Composite products made of Fiber Reinforced Polymer or FRP are used as modern-day material owing to their superiority in terms of their adjustable characteristics (based on resin selection) such as high strength-to-weight ratio, commendable thermo-mechanical, and corrosion-resistant properties.
FRP competes against wood, concrete, and steel which are used as primary structural elements. There are a lot of disadvantages to wooden structures. The main disadvantage is that wooden structures are more prone to biological decay. There are various steps and prevention of wooden structures, but with FRP material, biological decay won’t be an issue because glass fiber doesn’t provide a food source to microbes. Corrosion is also a major issue faced by steel and concrete material but FRP provides an excellent solution to both of these problems. FRP has great potential in further increasing the longevity of existing as well as new structures that can resist the harsh effects of weathering, degradation, and aging in severe environments.
FRP composite materials are extremely resistant to corrosion and rot. Besides these, they present a longer and yet more efficient service life. FRP-based products hardly require an energy-intensive replacement or much maintenance.
What Are The Different Parts Of An Frp Cooling Tower?
Below are the different parts of the FRP cooling tower:
- There are fills that are made up of PVC or wood. The PVC material is more likely to be used in the FRP cooling tower which will help in promoting heat transfer by increasing the water and air contact. Fill can be sprinkled or can be used as film type depending on what serves best for the cooling tower.
- Frame and casing – The structure used in the frame and casing of the FRP cooling tower is made up of fiberglass-reinforced plastics. Most of the towers have the edge and external casings, while the rest of the frame serves as the casing.
- Fans – The most common types of fans used are the propeller and centrifugal fans. The FRP cooling towers have induced designs with employed propeller fans, while both propeller and centrifuge are practiced in the forced draft cooling towers.
- Coldwater basin – It is where the water drips down from the fills. It contains heaters, mainly during winter, to prevent the freezing of the water in the basin.
- Air inlets – These allow the air in to allow direct contact with the hot water for cooling.
- Drift eliminators – The use of this in the FRP cooling towers is to remove water droplets from the air and minimize loss of process water.
- Driveshafts – The function of driveshafts is to transmit power from the motor’s output shaft to the gear reducer’s input shaft. The driveshaft needs to be corrosion-resistant.
- Gear-reduced solutions – Gearboxes available for the FRP cooling tower are designed to increase horsepower and fan speed.
Advantages of Pultrude FRP cooling tower in the industry
There are various advantages of a Pultruded FRP cooling tower:
- FRP is a good corrosion-resistant material with good resistance to atmospheric water and general concentrations of acids, bases, salts, and a variety of oils and solvents. It has been applied to various aspects of chemical corrosion protection and is replacing carbon steel, stainless steel, wood, non-ferrous metals, etc.
- FRP has good electrical properties. It is an excellent insulating material used to make insulators. Good dielectric properties are still protected at high frequencies. It has good microwave permeability and has been widely used in radar randoms.
- FRP has a low thermal conductivity, which is 1.25~1.67kJ/(m·h·K) at room temperature, and only 1/100~1/1000 of metal. It is an excellent thermal insulation material. In the case of transient ultra-high temperature, it is an ideal thermal protection and ablation-resistant material, which can protect the spacecraft from high-speed airflow at 2000 °C.
The best FRP cooling tower manufacturer is Towertech India. They have the best range of cooling towers available, and there are many advantages mentioned above that will help in providing you with some understanding of it and how it works. So, while searching for an FRP cooling tower manufacturer, you can visit Towertech India, and we will offer you the best part you are looking for.