Scheduling a regular and thorough inspection of the cooling tower is crucial. It undoubtedly improves its performance and safeguards the lifespan of the system. We have brought you some general instructions to inspect your cooling tower, and it is also possible that some of the instructions do not apply to you. However, you can surely find the tips to include in your regular repair and maintenance checklist of the tower.
How to inspect cooling tower?
- You should look for cracks, holes, leaks, and general deterioration.
- You should also inspect adjoining panels for air leaks.
- If you have still casing then ensure that there is no development of corrosion or scale and if you have a wood casing, then look for any signs of wood decay.
- Look for any evidence of corrosion in steel tower, especially any loss of
- Check the tightness of bolted joints and look for any signs of corrosion in welded joints.
- Check the structure and look for any cracking or tearing.
- You should include checking the general condition of fan deck material, such as steel corrosion or decaying in wood in your cooling tower services.
- Ensure that the connection between the fan deck and supports is firm.
- Overlays should be appropriately attached to the materials.
Stairway and ladder:
- Steel corrosion can develop in any part of the tower, including the stairway and ladder. You should also look for evidence of loose treads and handrails. The hardware should also be perfect condition.
- Make sure that all the connections between the tower and ladder are tight. Welding of steel or aluminum ladder should also be checked.
Cold Water Basin
- Bacteria are often found in the excessive build-up of sludge. Along with sludge, you should clean up derbies. If you are using an anti-cavitation device, sump, and sump screen, then make sure that they are in good condition.
- Clean any trash from the sump screen and inspect any loss of metal and signs of corrosion in the cold water basin. Also, examine the leaking and signs of breakdown.
- Iron pipes are prone to corrosion and loss of coating material. If you have fiberglass pipes, then look for evidence of deterioration. Ensure that bolted joints have required tightness, and there are no signs of leakage.
- To clean clogging from the internal wear, you should temporarily remove the nozzle and clean it. Make sure that all the components of nozzles are in proper working condition. Check the connection to the branch pipe.
- Check that the louvers are adequately placed. Look for any signs of corrosion in steel louvers and signs of rotting in wood louvers. Check the spacing between the louvers and the connections between them.
Belt Drive Fan System
- Pulleys play a crucial role, and you should check the condition of the pulley grooves and ensure that the bushing holding it is tight enough. There should be sufficient belt tension and alignment. If you see any signs of wear, then you should consider changing the belt. Along with that, you should regularly lubricate the fan shaft. Check the bearings and replace the damaged bearings right away. The damaged cooling tower parts should be replaced with the new one.
- You can keep your cooling tower in perfect working condition with these inspection tips. You should carefully inspect the various parts of the system and provide maintenance and repair work where needed. You can also find a company that offers quality maintenance and repair service for industrial water cooling towers and let the experienced professionals handle the job.