As you may remember, a cooling tower is a heat rejection equipment that discards waste heat to the surroundings through the cooling of a water creek to a more moderate temperature. Most cooling towers utilize an electrical fan engine to create an air draft or airflow through the cooling tower.
What is meant by Induced Draft Cooling Tower?
An induced draft cooling tower is also known as a mechanical draft tower with one or more fans placed at the top of the tower that draws air upwards, facing the earthward flow of water passing around the wooden decking or packing. Since the airflow is counter to the water flow, the most chilling water at the bottom is in contact with the most bone-dry air, while the warmest water at the top is in connection with the moist air, resulting in increased heat transfer efficiency. The induced draft tower comes in a square or round shape, and the distribution of water may be done either by a static branch system or by the sprinkler.
Induced Draft Cooling Tower Working System
The incoming cooling water is infused throughout the cooling tower with a spray configuration header at induced draft cooling towers. The spray is leveled downwards to baffles for maximizing the time of contact of water with air. Maximizing heat transfer surface area is accomplished through the ‘cooling water fill,’ composed of PVC, wood, metal, or other material. Air enters the interior of the cooling tower through properly designed ‘louvers.’ Air is drawn through the baffled area by giant fans and causes the cooling of water. A particular device called ‘drift eliminators’ is used to avoid the entrapment of water droplets in the leaving air stream.
Benefits of Induced Draft Cooling Tower
The frp induced draft cooling tower usually offers the most effective and economical solution to most cooling needs. Its many advantages are as follows:
- easy fitting and maintenance
- Low sound level
- steady airflow regardless of ambient air warmth
- flexibility to any water flow
- the compliance of operation by shutting some cells
- amenability to high thermal performance
- congeniality with all kinds of structure – wood, FRP, concrete, steel
- adaptability with all types of heat exchange surfaces from sprinkle grids to high-performance film
- Capability to give excellent protection against icing of the mechanical ingredients.
Correlation Between Forced Draft And Induced Draft Cooling Tower
The difference between an induced draft cooling tower and a forced draft is the position of the fan to match the requirement of aerial suction. In the Induced draft tower, the fan is located at the top and above the eliminator such that air is diffused from top to bottom.
However, in the forced draft tower, the fan is installed outside the tower, and at the base, atmospheric air is disseminated from the bottom to the top.
Some advantages of utilizing induced draft tower over forced draft cooling tower are listed as below:
- More cost-effective compared to forced draft cooling tower
- Operates 50% less energy while vying to forced draft design
- It comprises a fan located on the top, which forces the air via the fills
- Installation of an inlet fan on the top of the cooling tower, which produces a low pressure
- The location of the fan in the warm air rivulet gives excellent protection against icing of the mechanical elements
- Forced draft designs typically need more engine power than equivalent induced draft towers
Furthermore, induced draft towers work using axial fans, while in forced draft towers, both axial and radial fans can be used.
How Does an Induced Draft Cooling Tower Run?
The automated draft tower and a fan at the dismissal spot (at the top) draw air up into the tower. The fan induces hot moist air out to demobilization. This gives a low level of entering and a high level of exiting air celerity, reducing the feasibility of recirculation in which released air runs back into the air admission. This induced fan system is also called a draw-through. Cooling tower fans are applied on induced draft cooling towers to pull air up through the fill media.
Effective Performance of the Cooling Tower
Towertech is one of the best cooling towers companies in India helping business people install cooling plants cost-effectively compared to other options, while others providers’ delivery services can be a letdown. Observing the power factor is crucial as it guarantees the following:
- Compressed water consumption
- Energy profits
- Outspread equipment service life
- Decreased functioning costs
To retain the cooling tower operating efficiently, three things are important:
- Understand the cooling tower type.
- Use chemicals efficiently.
- The trail down system water loss.
The Industrial Application of Cooling Towers
The cooling tower system is conventional in many industries, chief among them being power, commercial, HVAC, and industrial. The system rejects heat from machinery, heated process material, among other sources in the industrial setup. Specifically, industrial cooling towers are standard in food processing plants, petroleum refineries, natural gas plants, and petrochemical plants.
A cooling tower extracts heat out of method cooling water. Then, it pushes it into another mechanism, usually air, so that cooling water is cooled and ready to be recirculated.
In plastics processing, cool process water is pumped out from the cooling tower base and through one or more cooling circuits in different pieces of equipment (i.e., processing tools, moulds, desiccant dryers, water-cooled chillers, etc.). The process water absorbs and carries heat away from the equipment so that operating temperatures stay in the range required for optimal processing.